1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome To LandyZone!

    LandyZone is the biggest Land Rover forum on the net. We have plenty of very knowledgable members so if you have any questions about your Land Rover or just want to connect with other Landy owners, you're in the right place.

    Registering is free and easy just click here, we hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying Disco4

Discussion in 'Land Rover Discovery' started by Lief Zpring, Sep 19, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Lief Zpring

    Lief Zpring Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Posts:
    110
    Likes Received:
    65
    Location:
    Northumberland
    Hi all,
    I've got my eye on a 2010 Disco4 SX 3.0 Tdv6. It has 99000 miles auto box, FSH. Body and interior in very good condition, never failed an MOT. £10500.
    I've always had defenders and never owned a Disco. Are there any problems with this model/year that I should be aware of? Thank you.
     
  2. johnlad

    johnlad Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Posts:
    5,081
    Likes Received:
    530
    Location:
    Blackpool
    Google D4 crank snapping
     
  3. Lief Zpring

    Lief Zpring Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Posts:
    110
    Likes Received:
    65
    Location:
    Northumberland
    Oh. That was an eye opener. Although serious, it does seem a small proportion of vehiles. The only exact figure I could find was 1.3% for S. Africa.

    Still it's made me think. Does this make the Tdv6 a no go area?
     
  4. johnlad

    johnlad Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Posts:
    5,081
    Likes Received:
    530
    Location:
    Blackpool
    I’ve thought for a while about getting one, but with no engine parts available for rebuilding the only options if the worst happens are a new engine from LR or swap a jag engine into it, even the approved warranty from LR won’t cover crank failure,
    I believe warranty direct will though.
     
  5. lynall

    lynall Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    10,690
    Likes Received:
    4,467
    Location:
    Kent

    One guy summed it up by saying, its like driving a 30k hand grenade that you dont know when its going to blow.

    I dont know what the uk percentage are? but I would bet they are higher than 1.3 percent, even at 1.3 percent as you go past 100k (the 99k being the other 98.7percent) you could have then used up your percentage then have a car thats going to cost more to fix that what its worth.
    If you follow the D3 forum there isnt a week that goes by without an engine failure post and only a small percentage of D3/4 owners will even be on that forum so imagine what the numbers are all over the internet?

    Im sure I have read the same engine in the D5 is also suffering the same failures.

    I really like the D4 and even though Im paid to twirl spanners Im not sure I would go there.

    As John said above the Land Rover approved used warranty doesnt cover crank failure as its a known problem even though Land Rover deny theres a problem!
     
  6. Lief Zpring

    Lief Zpring Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Posts:
    110
    Likes Received:
    65
    Location:
    Northumberland
    Thanks guys,
    I think your comments have helped me decide. I really like the D4 but I already have one Land Rover that is in constant need of attention and cash (1997 110 300tdi). It's such a shame. I've already looked at a Freelander but the boot is too small for the dogs. The search will continue.

    Cheers
     
  7. lynall

    lynall Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    10,690
    Likes Received:
    4,467
    Location:
    Kent

    With the dogs maybe a van is the way to go?

    But bare in mind any modern car regarldess of make has its foibles, also steer clear of anything french!

    Or an older D3 2004/5 lower tax and cheap enough if it goes bang you wont be broke trying to fix it, starting to suffer from rusty sills so take a torch.
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  8. Lief Zpring

    Lief Zpring Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Posts:
    110
    Likes Received:
    65
    Location:
    Northumberland
    Yes, I'm thinking of revisiting the Freelander 2 idea. Either in the van mode or a nice HSE with the rear seat folded an a custom dog guard.
     
  9. lynall

    lynall Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    10,690
    Likes Received:
    4,467
    Location:
    Kent

    We have the D3 seats folded and the dogs mat is right behind our seats, bit rubber backed carpet keeps the seats and carpets clean, we keep the boot for ourselves and the dogs happy plus can hang his head out of the window and dribble all down the glass!
    Ive not really heard anything bad about the FL2.
     
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >