Djdommyp's Green machine project series 3

This site contains affiliate links for which LandyZone may be compensated if you make a purchase.

Djdommyp

Hello all,

Brought my first series land rover yesterday and it's going to need some work so why not start a thread to track progress......

About the car :

1980 series 3, 2.25 petrol van, fairly standard, had discovery steels and old remold tyres.

ta2a8e3y.jpg

Brought it from surrey and live in Hertfordshire so only 45 miles..... Easy right ?! ..... 4 hours and 35 litres of fuel later and I'm home, tired and fed up

After a bit of fettling today with stutab have found the culprit and it is ....

behe7e6e.jpg

So Saturdays job it to install a newer cleaner filter and check carb and pump for any unwanted metal.

Probable cause for this is the car has done 300 miles in the last 2 years so has been stood up unused for quite some time.

THE PLAN :

My intentions going forward are to strip the lovely lime green paintwork back and repainted the whole land rover. Weld any holes etc, new wheels and tyres and maybe a few shiny bits too.

The main use will be for trailing with my local land rover club along with killajoules, stutab and Jai

Right today we have sorted out the fuel filter by replacing the line from the pump to the tank and added in a nice shiny new fuel injected filter which is larger for a better flow.

Also took a few more pics for every one to see
yny2e9e4.jpg
qutyqypu.jpg
gybysa9u.jpg

u5ydu3e8.jpg
ypudygu5.jpg
ajasu4et.jpg
gehy8uzu.jpg
y3ypedas.jpg
6y4a3e6a.jpg

and a set of wellers I collected this morning which will be painted limestone the same as the roof and sides
9uhuzate.jpg

A 5 main bearing petrol engine with by the looks, a recent Weber. To my mind, as much as you could have hoped for in that department. Score!

Er, unless any of that crud ended up in the carb..... But if it runs fine, no worries!

Yeah it looks like the old owner know it had a fueling / running problem, so systematically changed all the expensive things because it's had the following work done :
New weber carb, fuel pump, spark leads, coil, dizzy cap, plugs

But didn't check the fuel filter that was clearly clogged up with loose metal, as you can see it's quite old and weathered.

Works for me as I get to save a few hundred pounds......

I have just placed an order for the new leaf springs from rogers of Bedford and should be ready by Thursday, and will order the paint later on tonight.

Today i thought i would spend an hour doing a few of the niggley bits on the landy,

First on the list was the Earthing issue i discovered whislt fixing the fuel problem.

Seems to be one of those projects, fix one thing find another item to add to the list ,

So went to the local Motor spares shop, got a short length of Battery cable and bolted it from the Gearbox casing to the chassis cross member,

No i have a fully working fuel guage, and now discovered that the horn doesnt work so thats the next job

Also just picked up the following things over the last week

Winch Bumper ,
7.50 - 16 Extra Tracks ,
16", 7JJ Weller steels

So watch this space over the next week should see some big changes and pics will be added

Back