1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome To LandyZone!

    LandyZone is the biggest Land Rover forum on the net. We have plenty of very knowledgable members so if you have any questions about your Land Rover or just want to connect with other Landy owners, you're in the right place.

    Registering is free and easy just click here, we hope to see you on the forums soon!

Battery’s

Discussion in 'General Land Rover Forum' started by Spurs14, Feb 6, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Spurs14

    Spurs14 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Posts:
    9
    Likes Received:
    2
    guys need bit of help , dug out couple of deep cycle battery’s ready to put back on 110 charged them up for 24 hours and checked the voltage one is reading 12;26 and one 12,37 this seems a bit low ? Any thoughts are they toast or usable shouldn’t have let them drain down over winter , thanks
     
  2. Mr S1

    Mr S1 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2015
    Posts:
    2,953
    Likes Received:
    2,084
    Location:
    Surrey / Sussex borders
    Always leave a battery on a conditioner if not connected to a car and used regularly mate. Always. That does a bit low, but it may well perk up once it starts getting used, try it and see how you go.
     
  3. brian47

    brian47 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    Posts:
    8,664
    Likes Received:
    5,139
    Location:
    Bridgend, Mid Glam. Somebody's got to live here.
    +1

    A lead acid battery has three voltages which can generally indicate its state, although it's not a foolproof method. The fully discharged state is 1.8 volts per cell or 10.8 volts for the whole battery. The nominal voltage is regarded as being 2.0 volts per cell or 12 volts and a fully charged state of 2.2 volts per cell or 13.8 volts for the battery. So yes yours is slightly low.
    The most accurate way to determine the state of charge of a battery is to use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the acid electrolyte in each cell, but of course, that's useless for a sealed or gel type battery.
    When charging, the voltage applied to the battery should be around 14.4 volts or 2.4 volts per cell and trickle charge at about the 13.8 volts mark.
    The main problem with leaving a lead acid battery just stand is that the plates can become sulphated, that is a crusty kind of covering which can reduce the efficiency of the battery. In the past I have had some success with the use of "Batt Aid" tablets which purport to reduce or remove sulphation, but once again the battery needs to be a liquid type with access stopper on each cell.
     
    Rubins4 likes this.
  4. Wimblowdriver

    Wimblowdriver Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Posts:
    634
    Likes Received:
    250
    Location:
    uk
    Yes a bit low. I would put them back on charge for another 24 hours let them settle and see if they hold a bit more. Nothing to loose by trying.
     
  5. payydg

    payydg Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Posts:
    1,812
    Likes Received:
    541
    Location:
    Aberdeenshire
    What make are they? Most decent manufacturers with have voltage graphs you can read off the state of your battery, often in the user manual.
     
  6. Spurs14

    Spurs14 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Posts:
    9
    Likes Received:
    2
    Thanks for reply’s they are crown batts will maybe have a look online see if there’s any info , in meantime I will throw them back on charge over night see if that helps
     
    payydg likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >