Freelander HDC - Is this noise normal?

This site contains affiliate links for which LandyZone may be compensated if you make a purchase.

James W

Firstly, a big hello to everybody from a new member!

I was looking for some reassurance, really. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1.8 5dr S-Reg Freelander (XEi 50th Anniversary) ... It's in really good nick and has been well looked after. BUT.. I tried out the HDC on a very steep road nearby recently and although it worked, there is quite a loud fast-rattle-vibration noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the brake pedal when the HDC kicks in. As I roll down, the vehicle picks up speed and you can hear a relay 'click' in. HDC is then applied but the vibration is evident. When enough speed is scrubbed, it 'clicks' off and the vibration (and HDC) stops.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to know if this noise was normal, or indeed dangerous!! Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,
James

Hi James,

Never tried the HDC so far myself (have got the car 'only' since jan 2001 :D ) as it's still too new to test these things out.:D
But I know the HDC works through the ABS so my guess is that the fast-rattle vibration as you describe is the ABS functioning ? Just a thought of course. Is it similar to the noise you hear if you try the ABS out on a wet or slippery surface ? Ciao

Hmm... sounds feasible! Not sure if anyone else who has used their HDC could comment?

Thanks
James

James W said:
Hmm... sounds feasible! Not sure if anyone else who has used their HDC could comment?

Thanks
James

Hi James,

There must be several persons who already used the HDC intensively. (Overhere where I live in Belgium it's only flat flat and flat again, almost as in Holland:D ), maybe if you ask nicely they will answer? (Or they don't like your haircut ???:) :) ;) ;) )

From your description it sounds very normal. The HDC is intended to emulate a low gear braking effect. When you accelerate and abruptly take your foot off the gas it will be accompanied by vibrating feedback through the brake pedal and 'burping' sounds from the system. It is also accompanied by 'twonging' sounds too.

So, if if burps and twongs all is fine!!!!

However, I was descended a steep hill once and it didn't. THAT was worrying:eek:

The sound is quite normal its just the abs pump running and pulsing the brakes on and off so no worries,also hdc will not always cut in if you travel say at 20mph an hour then take foot of the trottle hdc will cut in but if you started down the hill really slow it would keep you at that speed so in affect it is learning what you speed you are able to travel at hope this helps tiga

Widget said:
if if burps and twongs all is fine!!!!

That should be engraved on the walls above the Land Rover service centers!!!! :D :D

Seriously, thanks for the advice, hopefully it sounds like it should be making the noise, I can sleep at night now. To be fair, like Willow I don't know if I'll ever use it for real, but at least I know it seems OK before my warranty runs out ;)

Thanks all,
James

Good to hear... :) can't wait to try mine out off road, I'm going to try and get a few other 4x4 guys in work out at the same time too, just in case any of us get stuck!

James

The noise is normal - see our web site to see hwat we have done to our Freelander - and even more that never made it to the web site due to lack of room

http://steveandchris.netfirms.com The new web site that has a link from this old one does not have much Freelander stuff on it, only the old site.

James W said:
I tried out the HDC on a very steep road nearby recently and although it worked, there is quite a loud fast-rattle-vibration noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the brake pedal when the HDC kicks in.

Sorry to bounce this again but the recent icy weather has caused the traction control to come into play for the first time. Guess what - the rattle happens for the TC too! Again, all 'seems' to work okay, but I really am starting to think that the noise can't be right!

Imaging a small football rattle going off under the dasboard, around the pedal area when either HDC is running or TC kicks in. I've done some browsing and have found out that there is an ABS modulator, which is a (very expensive!) sealed unit, and I'm worried that it's this that's faulty. If I've understood correctly, the ABS system controls the HDC and TC features..

So, although the consensus above is that there should be some noise when HDC is being used, does anyone experience this football-rattle noise when TC is on too?

I don't want to have to replace the ABS modulator! :(

Thanks in advance,
James

Yeah sound's like my V6, and everything run's perfectly.

Take it to a dealer to diagnose the fault.

Wife has the same age, make and model as yours and I have only been in situation once where HDC and TC control have come into play. Although the HDC and TC worked fine, the noise and feel of coming down hill with braking being applied automatically felt very weird when applied the first time and first reaction was to stop and switch off HDC. After few goes we got used to the noise and the feel and works fine.

Back