Land Rover ForumsLandrover Forum

Forum LZ Shop Gallery For Sale LZ - Live
Go Back   Land Rover Zone > Land Rover Talk > Land Rover Discovery
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Rover Discovery Got yourself a Disco? Get yourself in here! Forum Sponsored By: Mailorder4x4.com accessories & parts for your Disco Every Part Covered!

Welcome to Land Rover Zone!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos and use our for sale section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20th-April-2010, 20:32
Archies's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 178
Send a message via MSN to Archies
Default 300tdi manifold gasket change

Is it a straight forward job?
Im trying to eliminate a ticking noise im getting, it isnt the vacuum pump, it isnt the tappets so going to change the gasket as there cheap. Just wondered if there was anything i had to be aware of.

If it isnt the gasket im going to have a new cambelt and headgasket on as apperntly these can also be the cause.


Archie
Reply With Quote
LZ
  #2  
Old 20th-April-2010, 21:32
Norledge's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 147
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

A little fiddly getting to some of the bolts, but if you can do a cambelt you can do a gasket
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21st-April-2010, 09:12
thebiglad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central France
Posts: 7,009
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archies View Post
Is it a straight forward job?
Im trying to eliminate a ticking noise im getting, it isnt the vacuum pump, it isnt the tappets so going to change the gasket as there cheap. Just wondered if there was anything i had to be aware of.

If it isnt the gasket im going to have a new cambelt and headgasket on as apperntly these can also be the cause.


Archie
I believe I'm right in saying that the inlet and outlet manifolds share the same gasket, so you have to take both off.

Helps really, get the inlet manifold out of the way makes it easier to get at the exhaust manifold.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21st-April-2010, 09:24
Archies's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 178
Send a message via MSN to Archies
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

I just assumed there was 1 gasket sandwiched between the manifold and the head.


Read your post wrong biglad, i think i know what you mean,

Im on of them that has to be looking at something for it to sink in..

Last edited by Archies; 21st-April-2010 at 09:27.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21st-April-2010, 09:31
thebiglad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central France
Posts: 7,009
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archies View Post
I just assumed there was 1 gasket sandwiched between the manifold and the head.


Read your post wrong biglad, i think i know what you mean,

Im on of them that has to be looking at something for it to sink in..
Hi Archies, I'm a bit like that too - what I should have said was, "there is one gasket that is used by both the inlet and exhaust manifolds, so you need to take both manifolds off, to change the gasket."

Is that better????

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21st-April-2010, 09:34
Archies's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 178
Send a message via MSN to Archies
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglad View Post
Hi Archies, I'm a bit like that too - what I should have said was, "there is one gasket that is used by both the inlet and exhaust manifolds, so you need to take both manifolds off, to change the gasket."

Is that better????

Cheers
Dave
Clear as a bell Cheers Dave,
I will tackle it later when ive picked the gasket up.
Ill let you know if the ticking has disappeared...

Archie
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21st-April-2010, 09:39
thebiglad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central France
Posts: 7,009
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archies View Post
Clear as a bell Cheers Dave,
I will tackle it later when ive picked the gasket up.
Ill let you know if the ticking has disappeared...

Archie

That would be great if you could mate, builds up the knowledge base a bit.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24th-June-2010, 18:21
jonb76's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

did you get round to changing the manifold gasket? gonna have a go at doing mine shortly, got the gasket for 5, noticed last week a couple of nuts had worked loose! got that annoying loud ticking noise when driving .... starting to sound like a friggin Beetle!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26th-June-2010, 06:07
Archies's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 178
Send a message via MSN to Archies
Default Re: 300tdi manifold gasket change

I changed manifold gasket, pretty easy job to do, apart from one stubborn nut.
But its still ticking, the gasket that i replaced was split into 2 pieces so i thought that was the problem but it isnt. On mine there was like 2 gaskets, the main gasket and another smaller gasket that went in the centre of the gasket and this was steel, i didnt refit this as i forgot, im not sure if i needed to but its been ok.

My mate put a device on my engine with crocodile clips in different areas, and he switched a dial to listen the the part of the engine that the clip was on, and he said my ticking is definately the vacuum pump.

Archie
Reply With Quote
LZ
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Page generated in 0.15748 seconds with 8 queries