Land Rover ForumsLandrover Forum

Forum LZ Shop Gallery For Sale LZ - Live
Go Back   Land Rover Zone > Land Rover Talk > Defender 90 / 110 / 130
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Defender 90 / 110 / 130 Defender talk n tips. Forum Sponsored By: Mailorder4x4.com accessories & parts for your Defender Every Part Covered!

Welcome to Land Rover Zone!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos and use our for sale section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 15th-March-2012, 17:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Hello

I just bought my first Landrover - small problem - the indicators won't self cancel.

Took the steering wheel off and there is a blue collar in the combi indicator/deadligh/horn module.

I was expecting to see some 'prongs' in the back of the steering wheel to fit into the cut outs in the blue collar - but the back of the steering wheel is smooth.

Am I right in thinking there should be something to 'mesh' with the blue collar?

Help appreciated (this is my first post).
Reply With Quote
LZ
  #2  
Old 15th-March-2012, 18:22
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeblade View Post
Hello

I just bought my first Landrover - small problem - the indicators won't self cancel.

Took the steering wheel off and there is a blue collar in the combi indicator/deadligh/horn module.

I was expecting to see some 'prongs' in the back of the steering wheel to fit into the cut outs in the blue collar - but the back of the steering wheel is smooth.

Am I right in thinking there should be something to 'mesh' with the blue collar?

Help appreciated (this is my first post).
You are correct. Is your steering wheel a standard wheel or after market one?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

It's a one piece molded thing with a prise out oval landrover badge in the middle.

I did a bit of googling and found a part on BritParts ref NRC 7636 - indicator cancelling ring.

Its got two prongs that are supposed to mesh with the blue collar on the indicator/lights/horn module.

Trouble is - BritParts don't say what year so I guess it's a phone call to them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:46
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeblade View Post
It's a one piece molded thing with a prise out oval landrover badge in the middle.

I did a bit of googling and found a part on BritParts ref NRC 7636 - indicator cancelling ring.

Its got two prongs that are supposed to mesh with the blue collar on the indicator/lights/horn module.

Trouble is - BritParts don't say what year so I guess it's a phone call to them.
type C by any chance?

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/moto_lita_...ng_wheel.shtml
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Ratty - spot on it's a Type C. Many thanks, my first lesson in getting to know the various LR nonmenclature.

Now - for your next challenge (if you choose to accept it) - what does 5 mean in the VIN at digit position eight - the engine type? Been looking but can't find % anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:55
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeblade View Post
Ratty - spot on it's a Type C. Many thanks, my first lesson in getting to know the various LR nonmenclature.

Now - for your next challenge (if you choose to accept it) - what does 5 mean in the VIN at digit position eight - the engine type? Been looking but can't find % anywhere.
Are you sure it's not an 8 meaning TD5?

Land Rover VIN Checker Land Rover One Ten: Land Rover One Ten Blog
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:56
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I spose it could mean 5 cylinder?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15th-March-2012, 20:58
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I spose it could mean 5 cylinder?
I've just checked my VIN and my 8th digit is an 8
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15th-March-2012, 21:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Thats what I thought too - according to www.clifton.nl/calvin.html my landy is a Defender, 92.9 inch wheelbase, 2 door van, with engine type 2.5 ltr Td5 (EU5 spec), RH drive, 5-speed manual, year 2002 made in Solihull.

What on earth is a EU5 spec engine?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15th-March-2012, 21:03
ratty's Avatar
I'm not special I'm limited edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in a ditch somewhere in Somerset
Posts: 33,450
Default Re: 2002 Defender 90 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeblade View Post
Thats what I thought too - according to www.clifton.nl/calvin.html my landy is a Defender, 92.9 inch wheelbase, 2 door van, with engine type 2.5 ltr Td5 (EU5 spec), RH drive, 5-speed manual, year 2002 made in Solihull.

What on earth is a EU5 spec engine?
Emission Standards: Europe: Cars and Light Trucks

Reply With Quote
LZ
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:49.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Page generated in 0.09137 seconds with 8 queries