Land Rover ForumsLandrover Forum

Forum LZ Shop Gallery For Sale LZ - Live
Go Back   Land Rover Zone > Newsgroups > Newsgroups > alt.fan.landrover
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

alt.fan.landrover Your gateway to the Landrover Fan Newsgroup. 10 posts or more required before posting is allowed here. Please read this before entering.

Welcome to Land Rover Zone!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos and use our for sale section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 14th-October-2006, 18:12
Teeafit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

My 2001MY Freelander has a nastly little habit when parked with the
handbrake on after heavy rain/pressure washing. The rear brake shoes
appear to stick to the drums, and a little rocking backwards and
forwards is required the next morning to free them off (with a loud
clonk!) If I park the vehicle dry, it never happens.

I've stripped everything out, and cleaned/freed off everything that
moves, but it persists. I've had shoes stick to drums before on
vehicles, but only when parked up for months - this is just overnight.

It's almost as though there's a metallic content in the linings which
rusts and adheres to the drum surface... but I'm not suggesting that
that IS the case, because why? In all other respects the brakes and
handbrake work fine.

I COULD leave the handbrake off, of course... but that's not my normal
habit, and I don't want to start it. Anyone any thoughts on this?

GRAME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply With Quote
LZ
  #2  
Old 14th-October-2006, 22:05
Bear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING


"Teeafit" <teeafit@teeafit.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1160845943.830992.261960@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> My 2001MY Freelander has a nastly little habit when parked with the
> handbrake on after heavy rain/pressure washing. The rear brake shoes
> appear to stick to the drums, and a little rocking backwards and
> forwards is required the next morning to free them off (with a loud
> clonk!) If I park the vehicle dry, it never happens.
>
> I've stripped everything out, and cleaned/freed off everything that
> moves, but it persists. I've had shoes stick to drums before on
> vehicles, but only when parked up for months - this is just overnight.
>
> It's almost as though there's a metallic content in the linings which
> rusts and adheres to the drum surface... but I'm not suggesting that
> that IS the case, because why? In all other respects the brakes and
> handbrake work fine.
>
> I COULD leave the handbrake off, of course... but that's not my normal
> habit, and I don't want to start it. Anyone any thoughts on this?
>
> GRAME ALDOUS, Yorkshire
>

Sounds like the handbrake cable is sticking, or the handbrake mech on the
trailing shoe is seizing behind the shoe. If you have free movement on the
shoe arm, then it points to the handbrake cable. Is it both sides that stick
on?
Check the handbrake cable outer, you'll probably find somewhere that it has
cracked and is full of crap.




Nigel


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th-October-2006, 08:44
Teeafit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

Nigel --

Well, I considered the cable of course, but when I had the brakes
stripped down (so it's not the adjusters or linkage at the backplate)
the cable seemed to be working freely, although that WAS on a dry day.
I WILL re-investigate what you suggest, but my gut feeling is that it
lies in the shoes themselves somehow.

BTW, it can be on either or both sides of the car.

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15th-October-2006, 17:31
Bear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING


"Teeafit" <teeafit@teeafit.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1160898257.033650.199440@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Nigel --
>
> Well, I considered the cable of course, but when I had the brakes
> stripped down (so it's not the adjusters or linkage at the backplate)
> the cable seemed to be working freely, although that WAS on a dry day.
> I WILL re-investigate what you suggest, but my gut feeling is that it
> lies in the shoes themselves somehow.
>
> BTW, it can be on either or both sides of the car.
>
> GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire


Strange indeed, are you still on the original Landrover shoes?

It maybe worth power washing the car, then remove the drums and check for
water ingress. My Freelander is the same age and the only time I've noticed
any water in the drums is when wadding. You still have the inspection covers
on the backplate?

Take spam out of the address and email me off line.


Nigel


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20th-October-2006, 11:50
Teeafit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

Found a/the problem -- when I took it for its 60K service yesterday,
the garage noticed that the lining was coming unstuck from a shoe on
both sides. Now, I don't know whether or not that was CAUSING the
problem, or as a result of the problem. Either way, the shoes (which
still had a lot of meat on them, and which I had consequently 'passed
as fit' on a quick inspection) have been replaced, and I'll see if
there's any improvement.

To respond to the previous posting, the inspection bungs are still in
place, and there's no sign that it's the cable that's sticking.
Original shoes? I don't know, having bought the car at 54K miles, but
knowing how slowly Freelander shoes are reckoned to wear, they probably
were.

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th-October-2006, 17:47
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

Teeafit wrote:

|| Found a/the problem -- when I took it for its 60K service yesterday,
|| the garage noticed that the lining was coming unstuck from a shoe on
|| both sides. Now, I don't know whether or not that was CAUSING the
|| problem, or as a result of the problem. Either way, the shoes (which
|| still had a lot of meat on them, and which I had consequently 'passed
|| as fit' on a quick inspection) have been replaced, and I'll see if
|| there's any improvement.
||
|| To respond to the previous posting, the inspection bungs are still in
|| place, and there's no sign that it's the cable that's sticking.
|| Original shoes? I don't know, having bought the car at 54K miles,
|| but knowing how slowly Freelander shoes are reckoned to wear, they
|| probably were.
||
|| GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

I had the same problem with new shoes I bought for my S2a a couple of months
ago - twice round the block, no braking, took the drums off and part of the
linings had parted from the shoe and shredded themselves. That's the first
time it's happened to me (or even heard of it) in 30+ years of driving.
Coincidence?

--
Rich
==============================

Take out the obvious to email me.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25th-August-2012, 19:26
thequeenscheese's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 1,292
Default Re: FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

Hi did you confirm that this was the problem? my left rear feels stuck on after driving through heavy rain and deep water, giving me a soft pedal i have to pump a few times and left rear very hot with a v.hot metal smell..??
Reply With Quote
LZ
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:55.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Page generated in 0.06232 seconds with 8 queries